Big Valley was incorporated as a Village in 1914. Located in the County of Stettler #6, it is a spirited community of 364 people. Today, Big Valley is in the heart of mixed farming, grain farming, cattle ranching & tourism. Its economy is also tied to the large oilfield and related industries surrounding the community. We are very proud of our community’s workers and volunteers. Many hours are spent on beautification and heritage restoration programs which make our Village both historically and aesthetically pleasing. We maintain a high level of service to our residents year-round.
- Water Supply – Big Valley’s water supply is from the Shirley McClellan Regional Water line. The reservoir capacity, measured in treated substance, is 463 cubic metres.
- Waste Management – Sewage treatment is provided by lagoons consisting of four short and two long detention ponds.
- Garbage – Industrial, commercial and residential garbage is collected weekly.
- Electricity – Contact ATCO Electrical, 5001 – 47 Street, Stettler, AB, T0C 2L0 at 1-403-292-1500, 1-844-687-2826, Emergency: 1-800-511-3447, for more information.
- Natural Gas – Contact ATCO Gas, 205 Arena Avenue, Trochu, AB, T0M 2C0, at (403) 442-3933, for more information.
- Telephone – Contact Telus, 4821 – 51 Street, Red Deer, AB, T4N 2A6 at 1-800-223-0300, for more information.
- Water: $25/month flat fee plus $2.70/m3
- Sewer: $20/month
- Garbage: $8.50/month
The municipal taxation year runs from January 1st to December 31st and are payable by June 30th of each year.
Penalties for unpaid taxes are as follows: July 1st – 3%, August 1st – 7%, January 1st – 8%
Village Council & Staff
Mayor: Clark German
Deputy Mayor: Art Tizzard
Councillor: Harry Nibourg
Chief Administrative Officer: Tracy Mindus
Public Works Foreman: Nick Dubitz
Administrative Assistant: Skyla Attfield
All Municipal Bylaws are available at the Village Office.
Bylaw 746 – The Noise Bylaw
Bylaw 765 – Land Use Bylaw
Bylaw 801 – To regulate the use of water sewer and plumbing
Bylaw 802 – Transference of any outstanding money owed on account
Bylaw 804 – To amend Bylaw 797-11 establishing fees and charges for Cemetery
Bylaw 810 – Animal Control Bylaw
Bylaw 815 – Bylaw respecting management and control of Big Valley Cemetery
Bylaw 817 – To provide a penalty to be applied to unpaid taxes and a monthly installment option
Bylaw 818 – To provide for control of fires and recovery of fire protection service costs
Bylaw 821 – To amend Bylaw to include regulation of cats and other animals
Bylaw 822 – Repealing Bylaw 809 terms conditions rates and charges for the supply and use of water
Bylaw 827 – Nuisance Abatement Bylaw
Bylaw 828 – Code of Conduct
Bylaw 830 – Amend Land Use Bylaw 765
Bylaw 834 – To authorize the rates of taxation
Bylaw 842 – To authorize the rates of taxation to be levied against assessable property within the Village of Big Valley
Bylaw 853 – Rates & Charges